perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Andrew Ho <and...@tellme.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Apache::CacheContent - Caching PerlFixupHandler
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:55:25 GMT
Hello,

PL>That's the price you pay for this functionality.  Because we use
PL>Apache's native file serving code we need a url->directory mapping
PL>somewhere.
PL>
PL>Of course you don't need to make the entire docroot writable, just the
PL>directory corresponding to your script.

Apologies if this is obvious--I haven't downloaded and tried this module
yet. But would it not be possible to specify a separate directory
altogether and make it serveable (<Directory ...> ... Allow from all ...)?
If so perhaps it'd be easy to add this as a configurable parameter.

In general it is a fine idea to not make the DocumentRoot writeable by the
web user. In fact, I believe it is a good policy that the web user should
be able to write only to a small subset of controlled locations.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101