perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stephen Reppucci <...@logsoft.com>
Subject Re: forbidden vs. cookie
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 17:13:11 GMT

Howdy Ken!

I think there are two separate issues here -- there's an expiration
time on the cookie, which is your app's instruction to the client as
to how long the cookie should be kept.  Then there's an expiration
time of the ticket represented by that cookie data (to use the
Ticket Auth example), which is the length of time the ticket is
valid for.

The ticket expiration time should be in a (tamper-proof) container
encoded within the cookie, and checked by the server side app for
freshness with each request.

Allowing a client's broken idea of the current time (whether broken
through maliciousness or through ignorance) to affect the duration
of the ticket's validity is (IMO) "a bad thing".

If the client's broken idea of the time causes the cookie not to be
stored for the correct duration, oh well, that's *their* problem,
right?

As Tom Christiansen likes to preach "Never trust anything sent from
the client".

<Steve>

--
Steve Reppucci                                       sgr@logsoft.com |