perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Gunther Birznieks <gunt...@extropia.com>
Subject Re: Development Environment
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:32:29 GMT
I agree. I've seen many people try to do shared memory/cached programming
in one server and it just doesn't work very well in practice. It only takes
one programmer a typo to take everyone else down until the bug is fixed.

 From Jakarta/Tomcat to IIS to Apache/mod_perl. Developers having their own
workstation is the best for testing and active development. Of course, a
staging server needs to be shared. But it's a lot cleaner once the
developer has debugged their own code.

At 11:37 AM 1/31/01 -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

>AH> What if there are 20 mod_perl developers at your company? You either need
>AH> to do admin work to partition the developers by what modules they write,
>AH> or run 20 Apache instances, which may be very expensive.
>
>And these 20 developers don't have workstations of their own?  You can
>build a development environment on a workstation just as easily as you
>can on a server...
>
>--
>Vivek Khera, Ph.D.                Khera Communications, Inc.
>Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
>AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieks@extropia.com)
eXtropia - The Web Technology Company