perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Daniel Sully" <dan...@electricrain.com>
Subject Re: Using modperl as an 'adaptor' front end to an app server.
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:43:38 GMT
Once upon a time Dave Rolsky shaped the electrons to say...

> > That would be a no. Socket communication only. Shared filesystems in
> > production are bad, mmkay.
>
> I'm not sure which you're referring to, my suggestion that you use a DBM
> file (with locking, of course) on 1 machine or NFS.  I have no experience
> with NFS myself but I've heard of other using it for such things (or
> trying to, at least).  I would think a database would end up being the
> simplest way to do this sort of information passing.

There is too much overhead for using a locking a database across a
shared filesystem with potential latency problems and blocking/deadlock
potential. A direct socket connection, or even tossing a multicast
packet out onto the wire is the best for inter-machine communication,
where there may be N machines that are available to answer that request.

-D
--
fall down seven times, get up eight.