perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Kurt D. Starsinic" <ks...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: Best GCC compiler options for Intel (perl & apache)
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:21:18 GMT
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 01:51:56PM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> Can anyone recommend extra gcc options to squeeze the last ounce of
> performance out of code (perl and apache in this case) on Intel?
>
> I don't mind tying the code down to one cpu type or loosing the ability
> to debug etc. We're already doing -O6 and are looking for more.
>
> I recall Malcom Beattie (CC'd, Hi Malcolm!) experimenting in this area,
> something about not wasting a register for the frame pointer.
>
> I'm using gcc 2.95.2, is that the latest/best?
> It's on FreeBSD 4.1 and 4.2.

    If you can get perl to compile under TenDRA, you might get better
performance.  It's a FreeBSD port, BTW.  I had looked into this a while
ago, but the documentation left a lot to be desired.  You might also try
pgcc.

    - Kurt
|       `People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled       |
|        is there any hope for them.' -- Ralph Waldo Emerson                |