perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Re: AW: Embperl and threaded mpm?
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2017 06:21:14 GMT
Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 07:51 PM, Neil Gunton wrote:
>> richter@ecos.de wrote:
>>> Hi Neil,
>>>
>>> Embperl is not working with threaded mpm.
>>>
>>> Preloading all your perl code saves a lot of memory due to code sharing.
>>>
>>> The main issue is, that you have to make sure, not to open any file or
>>> database connection or similar in the preload code, because that will
>>> be shared too, which does not work
>>
>> Thanks, Gerald. So, just to be clear, what my preload routine in
>> startup.pl does is the following. Maybe you can confirm that I'm doing
>> it right.
>>
>> if (Apache2::ServerUtil::restart_count() == 1)
>> {
>>     preload_dirs();
>>     $Embperl::initparam{preloadfiles} = \@preload_files;
>> }
>>
>> The preload_dirs() simply traverses my code tree and calls this for each
>> file:
>>
>> push (@preload_files, {inputfile => $filename, path => $path, import =>
>> 0, input_escmode => 0, options => 16, debug => 0x7fffffff});
>>
>> Does that look about right? If as you say it's worthwhile in terms of
>> memory then I might look at re-enabling it again. I think I disabled it
>> originally because it made restarting the server quite slow, but it
>> would be useful to have it as an option should I need it.
>>

> looks right to me although I never did this.  You are just setting up
> the global parameters

Ok, but I'm wondering if there is something else I should be doing to
execute the actual preload. It seems that all I do here is give Embperl
an array, but when I enable the preload, it just goes through everything
suspiciously quickly. I don't think it's actually executing anything at
preload time, though I could be wrong. I'm thinking there's something
else I need to do to tell Embperl "ok, now actually load all those files"...

Neil