perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Embperl and threaded mpm?
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:08:10 GMT
Hi all, just wondering if Embperl was ever made threadsafe so it could
work under Apache's event or worker apache mpm's.

The prefork does seem to limit somewhat the number of clients I can have
on my server, presumably due to the memory footprint (no shared code
between processes?).

It's been a while since I played with that stuff, so I've probably
forgotten some things that I should have written down "way back when" I
was developing the core website config in the early 2000's. Like,
exactly how shared is the memory for my Perl code between Apache's
preforked processes? I don't currently explicitly preload (Execute) all
of my Embperl code at startup, even though I have a switch for that in
my startup.pl, and it's been so long now (> 10 years) that I don't
remember why I disabled it. I do seem to remember that if you execute
all your files in startup.pl then it's shared at first, but then over
time that becomes more fragmented (non-shared)? Sorry to be so vague,
basically the way mod_perl/Embperl works with respect to how code gets
shared (or not) between processes has always been a bit murky to me, so
any tips would be appreciated.

Also, of course, whether event/worker is a thing I should be looking at
for Embperl at all.

Thanks!

Neil