perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Re: Status of Embperl?
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:02:09 GMT
Hi Benni,

I am still using Embperl in my ongoing project, which is a bicycle
touring journals website with forums, classifieds etc. Actually I think
it's the biggest bicycle touring website out there. I have over 7,000
journals by people from all over the world, and we recently passed a
million photos. I've been using Embperl since 2000, and it continues to
work very well. I build from source, currently using Debian Wheezy on my
dev workstation and Squeeze on the production server. There are some
issues with Perl 5.14 on Wheezy, just related to error reporting
(sometimes I don't get any line number, just 'compiler error'). I have
raised this on the list here but it just petered out with no solution.

I am not sure what Gerald sees for Embperl these days, the world at
large appears to have largely moved on (from Perl/mod_perl, too) but I
still really like it. It's weird seeing something that just works really
well get kind of passed over, kind of sad really. If I "make it big"
with my project then I intend to throw some financial support Gerald's
way, but that is still in the future (just getting by myself at the moment).

So this is just me saying that I'm still here! I hope Embperl carries on
for the foreseeable future, I have a large amount of development time
invested in it at this point (over 10 years worth) and it would be a
huge hassle to switch to something else.

Neil