perl-embperl mailing list archives

From D K <dvk_mail_li...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Status of Embperl?
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:25:56 GMT
I would second Kee's point.

At $work, (a very large company which has been a heavy user of EmbPerl for years), they are
considering switching away (from both Embperl and even Perl).

One of the biggest things that was a problem was a lack of a good MVC framework - we had to
roll our own, slow and clumsy ones.

If I could show people how to plug our existing EP code as a view layer into Catalyst, it
would go a long way to convince the $powers that Embperl is worth looking at.

________________________________
 From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com>
To: richter@ecos.de
Cc: embperl@perl.apache.org
Sent: Friday, September 7, 2012 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: Status of Embperl?

It's been a while since I've looked at existing frameworks in Perl (I'm stuck in a long-term
Python project right now). When I last did, I used Catalyst and replaced TT with Embperl.
I also augmented Embperl with a few features (a [] construct that does *no* escaping, and
a dynamic include capability that works well with the object model for giving you what pieces
you need in the right order only and only onceā€”it's been a while, so I can't really describe
it well).

I'd be happy to contribute both of those, although neither are what I'd call polished.

The key issue I have is Frameworks, Frameworks, Frameworks. People expect more out of their
tools than Embperl provides. I think that Embperl would have a much better chance of survival
if it could be embedded in an existing Framework. It's way faster than the pure-perl solutions,
and it's much better at managing cross-site scripting areas and form filling than any other
system out there.