perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Roll call: What cool, high-traffic websites are using Embperl?
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2008 03:54:18 GMT
I've been using Embperl since 2000 to run www.crazyguyonabike.com. This
started off as a single journal of my bicycle tour across America in
1998. I wrote it using Embperl, and developed it so other people could
also put their journals up. Over the years I've added forums,
classifieds, resources etc, and now it is one of the biggest bicycle
touring websites in the world (I think). It current has more than 2,600
journals, and over 280,000 pictures, and gets something around 100,000
page requests per day. I do this using one Debian server with MySQL, and
a two level custom built Apache setup (front end caching reverse proxy,
back end mod_perl) which allows me to withstand click floods and
slashdottings without breaking a sweat. I'm quite proud of the way the
site has developed over the years, and I'm also glad to have used
Embperl to do it - this has made my code easy to manage and develop,
especially Embperl::Object.

Now I am expanding the site, using the same code as a template for
www.topicwise.com, which will have dozens or possibly hundreds of
subsites dedicated to all kinds of different subjects, along the same
lines as crazyguyonabike. They all share a common user directory. Also,
www.townwise.com will have the same template, for cities (think
craigslist). So this is my little plan for world domination. You can see
more at www.neilgunton.com, which is also implemented using the
crazyguyonabike code.

That's what I've been doing; what have other people done? Why not let's
have a roll call of cool sites that have been implemented using Embperl.
What has been done? Tell us! Might be a good way to get this list more
lively.

Thanks!

Neil