perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Kathryn Andersen <kat_li...@katspace.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: Using Catalyst to revitalize Embperl
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:39:53 GMT
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:45:02PM -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:
> WHAT I WANT TO KNOW
> The question is very simple.  Are other people interested in going in
> this direction?  If I put out an Embperl::Object View component for
> Catalyst, is anyone going to use it?  And if I start discussing how
> we can grow and extend Embperl, is anyone going to answer back?

Well, I'm not looking at Catalyst; I have my own "home grown" framework
which works and I'm not tempted to change it, since it is working.
But I do like your "grow and extend" Embperl ideas.

Embperl can be frustrating.  It's wonderfully powerful, and I love Perl,
and it can do heaps, but there *are* places where things don't "just
work", and I've had to do workarounds.

I also get the impression that Gerald is kind of running out of steam as
far as developing Embperl goes.  I know that I reported a bug in
Embperl::Form::Validate last year, but there still hasn't been an
official bug-fix release for that.  (Yes, it's in SVN, but that doesn't
help when one is installing things via CPAN)

The fact that a lot of Embperl is written in C is an advantage and a
disadvantage.  An advantage because, of course, it makes it lovely and
fast.  A disadvantage because it makes it harder to understand (and
therefore contribute to) the code.

Kathryn Andersen
      v     |