perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Kinkeldei <wolfg...@kinkeldei.de>
Subject Re: strange Locking behavior on OS-X Server
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:55:18 GMT

Am 02.04.2007 um 16:08 schrieb Gerald Richter - ECOS GmbH:

> Hi,
>

>> on OS-X Server, Version 10.4,
>> Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin) Embperl/2.2.0 DAV/1.0.3 mod_ssl/2.8.24
>> OpenSSL/ 0.9.7l mod_perl/1.29
>>
>> a strange behaviour occurs when using "File" as storaage and
>> either "Semaphore" or "File" as locking, under certain
>> circumstances mostly under a minimum load with at least 3-5
>> concurrent requests, a request may take several seconds (even
>> a simple "hello" page) or lock forever. Killing some of the
>> waiting processes or restarting the server helps for a while
>> until the (for me unknown) race-condition occurs again...
>>
>> After setting the lock-method to "Null" this situation did no
>> more occur again but now a potential session-inconstency
>> could occur which does not satisfy me.
>>
>> Did somone else also have such an odd behavior?
>>

> I can't help you with this issue, but unless you use frame, where the
> same session key might be used in parallel, it#s normaly safe to
> use the
> Null locker.
>
> Otherwise you might try to use mysql for data storeage and locking, as
> far as I know, this works without problems.

In the meantime, we found that under OS-X Server (PPC-Edition) very
strange things are happening with the whole session management
resulting in session-mixing. This mix occurs using "File" or "MySQL"
as a session storage and is independent on the kind of Locking or use
no Locking at all. On the Intel Edition I could not verify such a
behavior. As soon as there is more time we will try to track that
down. All Perl-modules we use do successfully complete their tests
without any complains.

> P.S. Do you use %mdat or only %udat for sessions?

I only use %udat for sessions.

Grüße,

Wolfgang

--

' /\_/\ ' .print[split??,"".(($/=q|Cms)+-03467:;<=|)=~tr!C-z -B! -z!)x
'( o.o )' .$/]->[hex]foreach split qr<>,qq+1ecd039ad65b025b8063475b+||