perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Trey Hyde <Richard.H...@cnet.com>
Subject Embperl2 falling apart under load
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:49:43 GMT
We just deployed and then un-deployed a version of our application that
was converted to embperl2.   While it appeared to be faster initially,
each web server would drive itself under (all dual 2.6 to 3.2 Ghz Xeon
servers) with load after about 40 minutes, sometimes significantly
quicker).    I can't set the blame entirely on Embperl as that wasn't
the only thing that changed.   We were forced to convert from a
statically linked mod_perl to a DSO mod_perl.  Unfortunately I can't
revert back to a statically linked mod_perl with Embperl 2.2.0 because
Embperl 2 segfauilts (actually a segfault loop when Embperl is loaded).
I can't try Embperl 1.3  with a DSO because Embperl segfaults (on apache
startup).

First, are these segfault situations known?
If not what's the best way of going about getting debugging info?

We're currently using:
Perl 5.8.5
Apache 1.3.29 (though when debugging I tried 1.3.37 as well)
mod_perl 1.29
Embperl 1.3.6 (and then Embperl 2.2.0)

Thanks

Richard "Trey" Hyde