perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Gerald Richter" <rich...@ecos.de>
Subject RE: erratic effect of input key in Execute
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:26:10 GMT

> > I now tried various definitions, such as
> >

> >   sub say {
> > 	local $msg = shift;
> > 	Embperl::Execute({input=>\$msg, inputfile=>$msg});
> >   }
>
> [...]
>
> > and am still getting always the same string printed out.
>
> No, it does seem to be working for me now, thanks.

Great!

> The latest failure was due to an error in my testing script.
>
> This still leaves me with some questions open, such as
> whether there is any way to replace
>
>  	<h3>blablabla</h3>
>
> with
>
> 	[- print WEB "<h3>blablabla</h3>" -]

You need to print to OUT inside your Embperl code

> Also: is there any risk in routinely using $msg as the value
> for the inputfile key, regardless of its content ?  Or is it
> better to generate a value like
>
> 	$fi = sprint "file%d", ++$n ;
> 	Embperl::Execute({input=>\$src, inputfile=>$fi) ;

Have $msg as the key makes sure that if you have two times the same code
Embperl will compile it only once, so that is ok, unless $msg will get too
long because Embperl will use it as hash key.

> Also this usage scares me a bit, because 'inputfile' here
> seems to be competing with 'input'.  How do I know Execute
> reads its input from the variable pointer and not from a file
> with the name specified in 'inputfile', which might exist.

When input => is present Embperl always takes input => as it's source

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **