perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Daniel <embp...@7thfire.com>
Subject Re: RE: Re: object life
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:14:44 GMT
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:59:50PM -0500, Hall, Philippe wrote:
> My understanding is that modules are kept in a namespace determined by
> package name.  The solution is to name and call your modules separately
> using a different namespace, ie:
>
> Use Project1::db;
>
> And
>
> Use Project2::db;
>

> Also, I would recommend using startup.pl to load your packages before
> there is ever a request.  This will reduce load time on the first
> request for each thread and prevent inconsistent behavior from thread to
> thread if you are developing or tweaking the modules.

I think part of the problem is the way I have configured the abstract
class for Class::DBI. I don't know if there's another way of doing it,
but I Have it read my config file for that particular instance to figure
out paths and databases etc.

I run the same framework on several machines where paths and databases
are different, so the same framework instance on a different machine may
actually have different values in the config file. Using the model you
described doesn't lend itself to this.

Has anyone been using Class::DBI with multiple database instances?

Maybe I need to inherit the abstract class and create a connection
whenever using the object. I guess I need to research that.

-d