perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Carl Eklof <carlek...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using EmbPerl's Caching Functionality
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:16:21 GMT
Hello,

 I applied the patch, and caching now works (thanks Gerald!). I tested the following lines
in my httpd:

 EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_OPTIONS 0
 EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_FUNC "sub {return $ENV{REQUEST_URI}}"

 Which seems to have solved my problem of the cache not making the distinction between:
 http://host/foobar
 and
 http://host/helloworld

 I don't see a way to explicity tell EmbPerl to 'not cache' certain pages. I ended up making
the cache_key_func call another sub that performed additional logic to set the key to "",
and I used a EMBPERL_EXPIRES_FUNC to always expiring those queries.

 The benchmark results so far show a very significant improvement (>2x) when replaying
the user logs for a duration of time about as long as the expiration time. I have a lot of
queries to the home-page for each city, so caching those alone is significant. Incase anybody
is currious to see another EmbPerl site, mine is at (http://beethere.net/). I should have
caching on the live site in the next couple days.

 The only awkwardness I'm now seeing is that Embperl seems to sometimes call the cache_key_function
multiple times per request. I added a 'print STDERR 'FOO' to the sub, and I occationally see
the message get printed multiple times (~11).

 I highly recommend applying the patch, and giving caching a whirl. It's a nice performance
gift from Gerald, and easier to set up than most dedicated caching systems.

 Happy Holidays,

 -Carl