perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Kathryn Andersen <>
Subject Text to HTML recipe making
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:50:08 GMT
Hello, I'm new to Embperl (though it seems to be a case of love at first
I'm trying to get a handle on Recipes and Providers.  I gather that
in order for something to be able to be Provided, it needs to have
a Syntax module for it, in order for a Recipe to be able to use it.

What I want to be able to do, is for Embperl to be able to read in
plain text files and convert them to HTML.  But I don't want to reinvent
the wheel, since there are perfectly good perl modules which have
already been written to do that (such as HTML::TextToHTML).

But the impression I get from the manuals is that one can't use another
module, that you have to reinvent the wheel and write a Syntax module
in order to parse a plain-text file.  Which is Not Good.

Of course, I know that one could sort of do it in a quick-and-dirty
way by reading in the desired plain-text file into a scalar, processing
it with HTML::TextToHTML and then doing whatever you want to it,
but I would like to do it the proper Embperl 2.x way, with Recipes
and Providers, so that it could be reusable and passed on to other
people to use.

Kathryn Andersen
A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.
		-- J.R.R. Tolkien
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<>
\_.--.*/    | GenFicCrit mailing list <>
      v     |

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message