perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Carl Eklof <carlek...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using EmbPerl's Caching Functionality
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:47:26 GMT
I should have included my version info:
 EmbPerl 2.0.0 (official release, not a beta)
 Apache 2.0.54

----- Original Message ----
From: Carl Eklof <carleklof@yahoo.com>
To: embperl@perl.apache.org
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 17:14:15
Subject: Using EmbPerl's Caching Functionality

As part of my performance tuning, I thought I'd also give the new caching functionality a
whirl. I did get it to work, and when it did, it worked very well (thanks Gerald). BTW, I
found some posts from people that want the cache to be disk-backed, but I MUCH prefer it to
be in memory, as being disk-backed would produce much worse performance that dynamically generating
pages for me, especially under high-load.

 I did encounter a couple problems, one of them is still preventing me from using the caching.
1) I couldn't get EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_FUNC, or EMBPERL_EXPIRES_FUNC to work in my httpd.conf
(and I do have Embperl_UseEnv on) Trying to set either one would cause Apache to seg fault.

 Setting

 EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_FUNC "sub {$ENV{REQUEST_URI}}"
 or
 EMBPERL_EXPIRES_FUNC "sub {1}"

 ...and making a request would cause the following in the error_log:

 [Mon Dec 19 16:38:23 2005] [notice] child pid 9518 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

 2) I got the EMBPERL_EXPIRES_FUNC functionality to work by specifying and EXPIRES sub in
my base.epl. As in:

 [!
 sub EXPIRES {
     <decide to return 0 or 1>

}
 !]

 However, I couldn't get the documented &CACHE_KEY sub to get invoked. I tested by putting
a print to STDERR, which never printed anything. This prevents me, and probably others from
using the caching because EmbPerl's default computation of a cache key doesn't seem to make
a distinction between:
 - http://coolhost.com/foobar
 and
 - http://coolhost.com/helloworld

 ...which is a very important distinction on my site, thus I would get the /foobar page, when
making a request for /helloworld, or vice versa.

 Does anybody have any working sample of the EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_FUNC?

 Happy Holidays,

 -Carl