perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Neal Gamradt" <ngamr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Some philosophical questions
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:42:48 GMT
Hello All,

I think the idea of a Wiki for EMBPerl is a great idea.  As for the domain
name, I would say embperl.net is a good choice.  It's easy to remember and
it goes along with php.net and java.net being sort of community sites.

As for the whole philosophical debate.  I feel that any language can have
bad programmers, that isn't the fault of the language.  I am currently
working with Java code that was written by programmers who obviously did not
want to work with an OO language and didn't understand the concept.  It is
by far much worse than any Perl code I have ever worked with.

I live outside Atlanta, GA and I have come to find that there are very few
Perl jobs that don't have Java as another job requirement.  Due to this fact
I started learning Java because, well, I have to pay the bills.  Has anyone
else found this trend?  With both languages on my resume it opens up a lot
of job options.

I think Perl is one of the best programming languages ever created and it
will always rank as one of my favorites.  However, I think Perl has a big
uphill climb.  Java, PHP, and (unfortunately) .NET have gotten labeled as
the hot new languages.  If you talk to some of the old-timers they will tell
you about the time before SQL became the standard query language.  There
were other query languages that I have been told were actually much better
but SQL was easier to learn and got the marketing advantage.  Sadly, usually
the best technologies donít win (e.g. VHS vs. Beta).  When I was in college
I was basically told that Perl was a tired old language and I really had no
interest for it until my first web programming job.  Unless some serious
advocacy for Perl starts coming from Universities and other places of higher
learning I am afraid Perl will not stay a mainstream language.

Anyway, I do want to thank Gerald for creating a great product.  I think it
has a lot of potential and with the right marketing spin could become a good
contender.  I know I have complained about issues with EMBPerl from time to
time on the mailing list, but I do think it is one of the best web
templating systems out there.  I agree that since Gerald is the sole
developer I do not feel it should be his place to also build the community,
if a product is good, the community will build on its own as long as it has
a place to start.  I would rather see Gerald spend what time he can dedicate
to EMBPerl fixing bugs instead of documentation and answering questions that
have already been answered before.  That is why I think the Wiki is a great
idea.  Besides, the bigger the online community, the easier it is to sell
EMBPerl to the big bosses.

I know at my current job switching out websites from the painful Java code
to EMBPerl would be a hard sell.  Java has a lot of third party apps and
Java programmers are easy to find.  However, if the community were to grow
that could change in the future.

If the Wiki doesnít find a home elsewhere, I could host it on my dedicated
server.  My friends and I share a dedicated server and we might be moving to
a different server soon.  That would maybe cause a disruption over a weekend
if we switch (not sure if that would be a big deal or not).  My current job
eats up almost all my time so I havenít had much free time for outside
projects like this, however, I would like to contribute a little.  Just let
me know.

Neal