perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Re: $req_rec not set for preloaded pages
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:17:22 GMT
Gerald Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>I have noticed something strange: When I preload pages under
>>Embperl 2, $req_rec appears to be undefined later when the
>>pages are requested. It works ok when I do not preload. I
>>think I may have made a mistake earlier when testing, mixing
>>up Embperl 1 and 2 handlers, because I thought all of this
>>worked ok, but now it seems not to be working.
>
> Do you see a similare behaviour for other globals e.g. $escmode ?

No, $escmode appears to be set for both preload and non-preload.

>>Also, (perhaps unrelated, don't know yet), when I tried
>>upgrading my production server (which runs Debian Sarge,
>>apache 1.3.33, mod_perl 1.29, perl "v5.8.4 built for
>>i386-linux-thread-multi"), using Embperl 2 produces a
>>segfault when starting apache. This is currently happening
>>whether or not I preload, so I will have to do some more
>>investigation to see what's happening there. Meanwhile I have
>>rolled back to 1.3.6 on the server. I'll tell more once I
>>know if this is user error or something else...
>
> Most time such an error is because the binaries are do not fit together
> (i.e. compiled with different compiler options, compiled for different Perl
> versions...)

I am building apache, mod_perl, embperl etc all from source. I haven't had a chance to test
this
properly (since I have to bring my server down to do it and there are always people hitting
it).
Hopefully I will get more of a chance to play with this next week, once my new server arrives.
Then
I can try a clean install from scratch.

By the way, this new server will be a dual Opteron 265 (i.e. 2 x dual core = 4 CPU as far
as Linux
is concerned? not too sure about this). I will be trying to install Debian 64-bit. Any reason
why
this setup of apache1.3/mod_perl1.29/Embperl2 shouldn't work? I guess I'll find out... :-)

Incidentally, Gerald, how about that Wiki? Do you want me to register embperl.net and get
it
working, or would you rather just save this as something to do yourself? You said to wait,
but I'd
be happy to have a stab at it (and of course give you whatever admin/editor rights the software

allows, I haven't played with it that much yet so I don't know the possibilities).

Thanks,

-Neil