perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Re: Some philosophical questions
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:04:51 GMT
Gerald Richter wrote:
>>Since we don't have an O'Reilly book, why don't we make our
>>own?  The community could start a Wikki.  The Wikki would
>>cover EmbPerl documentation and application, specific
>>installation instructions, FAQ, mod_perl and even perl itself
>>(as they relate to EmbPerl).
>>

> I forgot to answer about the book:
>
> I have started to write it about 3 or 4 years ago for O'Reilly Germany (so
> it was written in german). It was already listed on Amazon :-)
>
> I found out that writing a book is very very much work and you will only get
> the honour for it (which I knew before) (Also O'Reilly pays really good, if
> you break it down to the moeney you get per hour, it's nearly nothing,
> unless you can sell a high volume, which is not to be expected for such a
> specialized book).
>
> So I never came behind page 40 and had to realise that my time had become to
> limited to get it ready. I tried to find somebody else who might continue to
> write the book, but at the end I agreed with O'Reilly to cancel the book.
> Since the German Perl book market went down at this time it's also not very
> likely that we would have sold much books...
>
> That's it
>
> Gerald

I've been thinking about putting together an "Embperl Cookbook". To keep things simple, I
will
probably start it as a website, and just see what I can think of in terms of all the things
I've
been doing over these last few years (a few of them wrong, obviously)... and of course other
people
will be able to contribute. Then, if it seems worthwhile, someone like O'Reilly or whoever
could put
it all together as a book if they want to. It's been done before I think, putting stuff that
was on
the Web into a book format. Anyway, it's just an idea at this point.

I have never used a formal Wikki. I think I'll just take a stab at putting something together
myself
as I have the time. I think these things go better when there is some organizing entity, I'm
not
absolutely sure I believe in the "anybody can edit, anytime" model. It seems to work for larger

community projects like wikipedia, but for a smaller thing it might be better if there was
a person
writing the thing to give it some continuity and structure. I kinda believe in the concept
of an
"author" who takes ownership of the content and guides it. Of course, if someone else wants
to do
the Wiki then that's fine too! Plenty of room for all, I think. In any case, it takes someone
to put
something together in the first place, so that other people feel there is something to contribute
to.

Anyway, just an idea, I'll let you know when I've got something.

-Neil