perl-embperl mailing list archives

From ___cliff rayman___ <cl...@rayman.com>
Subject Re: Some philosophical questions
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:32:14 GMT
Neil Gunton wrote:

> This may be a little off the usual topic (bug reports, howto etc) but
> I am genuinely curious to know what other list members think about it.
> Back in 2000 or so, when I started using apache, mod_perl and Embperl,
> it was a really dynamic scene and quite exciting with all the
> possibilities for cool app development. There were other languages
> (Java, PHP) and other competitors within the perl universe (Mason,
> Template::Toolkit, AxKit) but in general the mod_perl/Embperl world
> seemed like a bright place to be. Now, a few years later, I am not
> really seeing all that much in the way of people "out there" talking
> about mod_perl, or even Perl. When they do, it's often in the context
> of legacy applications, or "old fashioned CGI". Somehow, people have
> forgotten about mod_perl and how capable it is.

I think that PHP is a lot easier to install and use for the average
user/programmer.  Maybe more importantly, it is easier to install PHP
apps on an ISP's server.  Embperl is easy to install, but mod_perl can
be tricky and you have to be somewhat of a guru to understand it and use
it's power.  That is why PHP's popularity is growing much more rapidly
than mod_perl.

Cliff

--
Business Consulting and Turnaround Management