perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Gerald Richter" <rich...@ecos.de>
Subject RE: No quoting of " (&quot;) ?
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:11:47 GMT

> I have escmode and input_escmode both set to zero, since I
> often print tags from perl code. And yes, it works if I
> change the example to
> [- $escmode = 7; $fdat{'foo'} = ... etc etc -]
>
> I wasn't aware that the escmode also applies to the
> (automatic) value-setting by %fdat. I also doubt that is a
> good thing, since Embperl "knows" that escaping is needed
> here. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to have escmode
> 0 applied to value="..."
> completions.

But I am sure there are people that need it.

The logic in Embperl is simple, just everything that comes out of Perl
should be escaped and escmode changes this behaviour. I don't think it's a
good idea to change this.

> So do I need to set $escmode to 7 around the tags which have
> values auto-assigned from %fdat? That's quite an inconvenience.

I prefer the other way round. Set $escmode to 7, so you are sure everything
is escaped. In case where you don't need the escaping turn it off (but make
sure that you at least escape everything that comes from the user). You can
localy change escmode with

[+ do { local $escmode = 0 ; $foo } +]

Gerald