perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Hartmaier Alexander" <Alexander.Hartma...@t-systems.at>
Subject AW: ANNOUNCE: Embperl 2.0rc2
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:02:33 GMT
Hi Gerald!

First thanks for rc2! Long time no new release ;-(

Now the 'bug' report ;-|

I use UTF-8 since two weeks (and I REALLY like it! Everything works much better than latin1)
so I had to rename epchar.c.min to epchar.c before compilation.
This results in make test failing in the fourth test (because it checks escaping which the
epchar.c.min doesn't do).

I have a search page which uses a form to pass the search string to the result page.
UTF-8 passed chars weren't converted to uppercase with uc(), all other chars were...
After hours of reading perl docs about UTF-8 I found out that vars have an UTF-8 yes/no flag
(which seemes not to be set for $fdat).

In the page that displays the results I had to add the following line to make things work:

*SNIP*
# get CGI var
$search = $fdat{'search'};
# perl doesn't set the 'UTF-8' flag although the variable is passed as UTF-8 so set it manually
utf8::decode($search);
*SNIP*

I first thought that I have to use utf8::encode($search) but decode finally did it.
I don't know the embperl internals...so maybe you can look into it if thats a bug.
For all others who use UTF-8: here is the workaround ;-)

It would be better for newbies if perl Makefile.pl asks for UTF-8 and use epchar.c.min for
the compile instead of epchar.c.
OR (which would be the best approach in my opinion):
Make it configurable (per virtual host?!).

Everything else works like a charm (for over a year now) ;-).

With kind regards
Alexander Hartmaier

T-Systems Austria GesmbH
Rennweg 97-99 1030 Wien