perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <br...@brentdax.com>
Subject Re: Design decision / embperl or mason? :-)
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:53:50 GMT
Ed Grimm wrote:
> Note that this requires web server restarts to change the logic, rather
> than just editing the pages.

Also note that, if you're not in a very high load environment,
Apache::Reload can be used to deal with this issue.  (Granted, you may
be in such an environment, but even if you are the original poster may not.)

To respond directly to the original poster:  I see nothing in your
requirements that Embperl cannot handle, and the "put all your logic in
modules" method works well enough with Embperl.

On one of my sites, I've abstracted a few pieces of common display,
authentication, and file upload logic into a module, but otherwise
everything is in the pages.  The modules capture a few variables (%fdat,
%http_header_out) from the calling package into lexical variables, then
export methods into the calling package with the standard Exporter
module.  This setup worked fine without Apache::Reload, but with the
module it's ridiculously easy to handle updates.

You can grab Apache::Reload from your favorite CPAN mirror.  It's a
pure-Perl module, with configuration directives inserted into your
httpd.conf file.

--
Brent "Dax" Royal-Gordon <brent@brentdax.com>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.