perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Kee Hinckley <naz...@somewhere.com>
Subject Possible DBIx::Recordset changes
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:18:45 GMT
I wanted to run these by people before I tried anything.

1. A '$/!' argument that can be passed to any command and is appended
after the SQL command.  For instance:
	$$set->Insert({ '$option' => 'DELAYED' ... });

2. A new command called Replace.  It does a Delete followed by an
Insert in those databases that don't support Replace.

3. I'd like an enhancement to make IN work with placeholders, but
that should probably happen at the DBI level.  Ideally you should be
able to say
	'$where'	=> 'foo IN ?', # or IN (?) ?
	'$values'	=> [\@list],
and have it do the right thing (which would mean turning @list into
either (n,n,n) or ('a','a','a')).  Recordset does this in the foo =>
[@bar] case, but there's no good way to do it when you have to use a
$where clause.

4. I know at one time someone did a patch to let DBIx::Recordset work
with bigints.  Is there an official solution there?  At some time or
other I added the following to my code, but I have no idea whether it
does anything:
     delete $set->{'*NumericTypes'}->{-5};       # treat bigints as strings

5. I often have forms which need to know all the possible values of
an enum or a set.  Since I'm using mysql I wrote the following, but
I'd be interested in a builtin, non-db-specific, solution.  This
function returns a has with the following entries:
	a mapping from the enum/set number position to it's name
		1 => ITEM1, 2 => ITEM2
	a mapping from the name to the number (both upper and lower case)
		ITEM1 => 1, item => 1, ITEM2 => 2, item2 => 2
	-default => the default value for the enum/set
	-names	 => an array of the names
That let's me do something like this in my code:
         [- %enums = EnumValues(DBInit(), 'domain', 'status') -]
         <th align=left>Status:</th>
         <select name="status" class="formbutton">
         <option value="[+ $enums{-names}->[$row] +]">[+
$enums{-names}->[$row] +]</option>
         </select>

sub EnumValues {
     my ($db, $table, $name) = (@_);
     my (%enum, $sth, $hash, $type, @types);

     if ($db->can('DBHdl')) {    # DBIx::Recordset, DBIx::Database
         $db = $db->DBHdl();
     } elsif (!$db->can('prepare')) {
         die("DBIx::Enum: $db is not a supported database handle.");
     }
     $sth = $db->prepare("show columns from $table like '$name'");
     $sth->execute();
     $hash = $sth->fetchrow_hashref();
     $type = $hash->{Type};
     # enum('NONE','USER','SUPPORT','STAFF','ADMIN')
     die("DBIx::Enum: Type of $name in $table is not enum: $type") if
($type !~ /^(enum|set)/);
     $type =~ s#.*\('(.*)'\).*#$1#;
     @types = split(/','/, $type);
     for (my $i = 1; $i <= @types; ++$i) {