perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Neal Gamradt" <ngamr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: What's going on with Embperl???
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:51:40 GMT
I think that Gerald has created a wonderful product, I haven't switched to
EmbPerl 2.0 because it is still in beta version.  I don't see anything wrong
with the suggestion of a Source Forge project, however, Gerald may have
reasons as to why he would not want to do this.  Since he is still the
creator and maintainer of this project the future of EmbPerl is really up to
him.

Using EmbPerl makes sense for me since I write Perl modules that can then be
used on the web or in local applications, and I can implement these modules
quickly in both cases.  Bottom line, It allows me to make more universal
code.  However, lately it appears that PHP is growing very quickly while I
don't see huge levels of support for EmbPerl.  I shudder at the idea of
using PHP (from early experience it appears to be a dumbed down version of
Perl) and will only do so when when EmbPerl is no longer being developed or
supported.

I do think that Gerald has a large enough community at his disposal to
maintain and update the great product he has developed.  If the Source Forge
project proves to be the best long term solution for keeping EmbPerl current
I am sure that is what will end up happening.

I don't want to see EmbPerl go away and be forced to use an alternative,
that would be a very sad day.

Neal