perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject What's going on with Embperl???
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 02:48:19 GMT
I am getting more than a little nervous about the future of Embperl.
I've written to the list before about this, but I didn't get anything
more than "it's ok, don't worry" from Gerald. But then, it was back to
usual - relative lack of responsiveness on his part, no new bugfixes for
the beta... I appreciate greatly his contribution of Embperl to the open
source community, believe me, and I use the package extensively in my
work - which is exactly why I am getting so nervous. There has been a
long period of apparently no progress on 2.0, and increasingly Gerald
seems to be absent from this list. I understand he must be very busy on
his own business (that's always the standard assumption), but given my
own code investment, I would appreciate an honest appraisal of where we
are. Do I need to start looking elsewhere? Anyone got any clues? I wrote
Gerald privately almost two weeks ago, and have still received no reply.
Is he on vacation? Why not mention this to the list?

If it came down to Gerald no longer having the time to develop the
project, then should we try to take it on ourselves? I don't even know
the protocol or etiquette for doing that. I mean, it's Gerald's thing,
his totally, and I don't want for a second to take it away or even try
to fork the project without his blessing. I'm not even at all certain
that I *could* take it on. To be honest, I haven't even had time to
delve into the code - there's a large amount of it. I am experienced in
C++, more so than Perl in fact. Any thoughts from other longtime users?
Can we help Gerald? I suggested exactly this in my last private email to
him (sent couple weeks ago, no reply). So here I am not so much trying
to bipass Gerald, as just taking the next step to see what others think.
If I am totally out of line then please tell me and I'll shut up. But if
anyone else has the same fears as me, then it would at least be
reassuring to know that I'm not alone. I'm very willing to let Gerald
take his time on this stuff if that's all he needs, but this is just
something that's been niggling at the back of my head for a while now
and I wanted to get it out in the open. Let me stress again that I am
very supportive of Gerald and would like to make this work - I even
offered to try and have a go at writing an (English) book on Embperl,
perhaps some sort of cookbook format. I am pretty busy with my own
stuff, and have quite enough on my plate developing application-level
stuff, but if it was clear that this would be welcomed by both Gerald
and the community then it might be worth spending the time on. Even if
it wasn't picked up by a real publisher, it might be useful as an online
book. Also, obviously, development, if feasible - but I have the feeling
that there are *much* more capable developers on this list than me.

Believe me, I want to see Embperl develop and succeed. But the list
traffic is way down, and there haven't been any real progress on the 2.0
beta in so long...

Anyone got any advice on this "elephant in the room"?

TIA

/Neil