perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Gerald Richter" <rich...@ecos.de>
Subject Re: What's going on with Embperl???
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 04:36:23 GMT
Hi all together,

first of all I want to tell you that I have not vanished away :-)
Second is that I will continue developing Embperl. I use it in all projects
we do, so it's still important for me myself.
The point why I am not doing much at the moment and why there are times when
it takes much to long till I get time to answer mails, is that we are
launching a product right now (If you are courious, it's a linux based
firewall, router, vpn gateway, see htttp://www.bb-5000.info, of course it
uses Embperl for it's Webinterface) and this takes up all my time (and
sometimes more than all :-(

I agree that this is not good for Embperl at all. I always would have been
happy if there are more people doing development of Embperl (Or just
maintaining docs, website, faq etc.) . This would make many things to go on
much faster. I don't have a problem with SourceForge, I just prefer to use
the Apache resources. As you know CVS is on the Apache server (and it was
there long before most of the Apache projects). If anybody likes to join the
development team (which is currently only me :-(, it should be no problem to
get CVS write access for more people, but as somebody already pointed out,
before that is done, you could always send patches to the list and they will
be integrated into Embperl. As Angus pointed out there is already abug
tracking system on CPAN, see
http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Embperl . As long as we are not
more developers I think this it's overkill, but if you prefer to use it,
it's there...

So if you can do anything for Embperl, let me/us know. I would be very happy
if Embperl is build on more shoulders than just mine.

For getting 2.0 out of beta: I use 2.0 for a long time in all my projects
and it is very stable, there is no reason for not to use it in production
environment, I really should rename it to 2.0 final. The only thing I see
is, what Neil mentioned, that there a some (small) issuses with old 1.x
code, that might be a showstopper, when upgrading old projects.

I would like to get these things done really soon, but I fear I will not be
able to do much during the next few weeks :-( I really will try to get 2.0
out of the door as soon as possible and I appreciate and help. Until 2.0 is
out I recommend that everybody who starts a new project uses 2.0 and doesn't
stay with 1.3.

Gerald

P.S. As you might know it is possible to add news, links, examples, articles
to the Embperl website. Please use this feature to show that Embperl is
widely used.