perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <n...@nilspace.com>
Subject Testing 2.x with production 1.x code
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:29:41 GMT
Hi, I am finally having the time to get into trying out the 2.0b9 to see
if I can transition my existing websites. However I am having a problem
with the fact that there are so many little things that are different
between 1.x and 2.x (different objects to call, for example the $req_rec
object apparently doesn't work any more). If I change my code to work
with 2.x then it won't work with 1.x any longer - but I don't want to
commit all my code to 2.x until I am sure it works, and I don't want to
have to maintain two versions of my code (there is a lot of it on the
crazyguyonabike website, some 393 files at present, some quite large).
During the time I am testing 2.0b9 I will still have to be making
updates and fixes to my production sites, I can't freeze development
until 2.0 is ready - it is uncertain when 2.0 will be stable enough for
production use. I realize that it will only get there if we all test it
out under real conditions, which I want to do. So any advice on how to
fully test out 2.0b9 on existing production code without having to
commit to 2.x prematurely, or else maintain two separate versions of my
code? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,

-Neil