perl-embperl mailing list archives

From b...@silverorb.net>
Subject Re: proper referencing of hashes returned by fetchrow_hashref . . .
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:08:37 GMT
Richard,

This is the way I think of it. And you can extend this logic to all your
dereferencing needs. Forgive me if I tell you things you already know.

A scalar is one "thing". ${}
An array is many things stacked together, one after the other. @{}
A hash is a set of named things %{}.

So I want the zeroth thing from a stack of things. ${}[0]
Or I want the "bob" thing from a set of named things ${}{'bob'}

In the above syntax I never filled in the {}'s. But the {}'s always
contains a reference. Sometimes that reference is just a variable name
like in ${foo}. But other times that reference is a variable itself like
in ${$bar}.

Fortunately perl lets us cheat and type a little less. So ${foo} is also
$foo and ${$bar} is the same as $$bar.

This means that when you do a $$hashed_row{'field_name'} you are
actually saying: I have a set of named things %{}. That set is called by
the reference $hashed_row. i.e. %{$hashed_row} But I only want the one
thing named field_name from %{$hashed_row} so... ${}{'field_name'} one
thing named field_name plus the reference $hash_row gives us
${$hash_row}{'field_name'}. But like I said, perl lets us cheat and that
is what gives you the syntax $$hash_row{'field_name'}.

my @array;
my $array_ref = \@array;

"@array" now has two names, @{array} and @{$array_ref}

Confused yet?... good

But there is a cleaner way to do it. The arrow "->". The arrow syntax is
a subsitute for @{}. %{} and &{}. This is how it works. Lets say we have
a reference $zweeb. And it is actually a reference to an array. So it's
proper form is @{$zweeb}. But perl knows that every time we want
something out of an array we use the []'s to say which element we want.
So really the only thing we need to tell perl is that $zweeb not zweeb
is the reference to use. The -> does that. This means ${$zweeb}[0] and
$zweeb->[0] are the same thing. And so is ${$a}{'joe'} and $a->{'joe'}
or &{$fctn}() and $fctn->().

Hope that helps.