perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Kee Hinckley <naz...@somewhere.com>
Subject Re: How to execute an epl as if url parms were passed?
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:02:48 GMT
At 12:50 PM -0800 1/23/03, Scott Chapman wrote:
>This is not right, Kee.  The URL parameters are NOT part of $fdat when you
>POST data so passing the URL parameters to the Execute'd page in $fdat is not
>right.

I thought the problem was how to pass fdat via an Execute.

If the problem is that the POST parameters aren't in %fdat, then I'm
confused--because they are when I use POST.

On the other hand, if the problem is that the URL parameters aren't
in %fdat when you do a POST then can't you just grab them from
$ENV{REQUEST_URI}?

And I don't know what this has to do with hand Executing a file.
Although do note the documentation on the flags you should pass in
execute to ensure it doesn't try and read STDIN again.  (I forget the
details--I just remember seeing a comment in there at some point.)

All of this begs the question--why are you POSTing to a URL with
arguments?  There's a reason they aren't automatically put in
%fdat--the expected behavior is ambiguous.  Does one override the
other?  Do you merge the results if two have the same name?  It's not
clear.  Ignoring the URL arguments seems like the safest choice, and
usually it's easy enough to make sure it's never an issue.  In fact
it's often a feature, since you can easily end up at a URL with extra
arguments, and then if the POST occurs without specifying a new URL
(a handy thing to do when you are reusing code) you'll accidentally
have URL arguments that you didn't anticipate--so throwing them out
makes a lot of sense.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email