perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Neil Gunton <neil.embp...@home.nilspace.com>
Subject Re: Global 'use strict' in 2.x
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:10:15 GMT
Gerald Richter <richter@ecos.de> wrote:
> > Hi Gerald, I'm trying to enforce 'use strict' in my [$ sub $] routines for
> > 2.0b8. Is there any way to tell Embperl to use strict in every [$ sub $]
> without
> > having to do something like the following?
> >
> > [$ sub hello $]
> >    [* use strict; my ($self, $name) = @_; *]
> >    Hello [+ $name +]!!!!
> > [$ endsub $]
> >
> > I'd like to avoid having to put the 'use strict' explicitly in every [$
> sub $].
>
> I think it should be enough to put it in the first sub, but then it is only
> active inside of subs.

This does not seem to work at present. Specifically the case I have is
'Core.epl', which is Executed as an object from base.epl (using
Embperl::Object). If I have two [$ sub $] in this file, and use strict in the
first one, and not in the second, then the second one allows the use of
arbitrary variables without complaint. If I use strict explicitly in every [$
sub $], then it's enforced.

> Using [$var$] without any variables, should force strict in all parts of the
> page

In my Core.epl, this results in an error:

[1383]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: 'undef' is not a valid variable name at
/www/vhosts/test.nilspace.com/htdocs/Core.epl line 1
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted (in cleanup) 'undef' is not a valid
variable name at
/www/vhosts/test.nilspace.com/htdocs/Core.epl line 1
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/www/vhosts/test.nilspace.com/htdocs/Core.epl line 1.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

All the best,

-Neil