perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Ed Grimm <edgr...@asgard.rsc.raytheon.com>
Subject RE: Generating images on-the-fly (newbie question) / embperl object
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:16:54 GMT
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:

<snip>

> Last week I tried a couple of ways of doing this under EmbperlObject.
> That is, from somepage.html try to ignore the output of base.html and
> set the headers and content manually, while still having access to
> things bound to the request object $req.
>
> Is that even possible? I ended up configuring a /cgi-bin and creating a
> CGI.pm script to dump out my binary data.

My intuitive answer is 'Yes, but fundamentally, you don't want to.  Tell
apache your file extension for dynamic images should be handled by
Embperl, not EmbperlObject'.  I believe this is because either the
difference between Embperl and EmbperlObject is entirely devoted to the
concept of wrapping pages with a standard template, which is exactly
what you do not want here, or I'm tired and should go to bed a few hours
ago.

The second is probably true in any event.

Ed