perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Andre Landwehr <andre.landw...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Targeting with location
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 06:53:19 GMT
On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:38:06PM -0700, Brent Hardinge wrote:
> [-
> $http_headers_out{'Location'} = $redirectionvar ;
> -]
>
> that works fine, but I need to be able to target "_top" or some other
> frame. Is there a way? what is the syntax?

With http_headers_out you can only modify headers of the http
protocol, which essentially is a transport protocol and not a
browser remote-control protocol ;-)
Unless I overlooked sth. in the http short reference I don't
think it's possible to do that with http headers. I'm afraid
javascript's window.open() will be the method of choice...

Maybe you can simulate the behaviour using http_headers_out to
call a dummy page, which right in the <body> tag has a
onLoad javascript command, which then does a
window.open("the_url_you_really_want") and history.back() to
restore the old page. But that is definitely very very bad coding
style ;-)

Andre

--
"The inside of a computer is as dumb as hell, but it goes like mad!"
(Physicist Richard Feynman)