perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Gerald Richter" <rich...@ecos.de>
Subject Re: Err compiling 1.3.4 on RedHat 8
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2002 20:00:10 GMT
> #52 binary.htm...             ok
> #53 nesting.htm...
>
> [-1]Malformed UTF-8 character (overflow at 0xc41461c8, byte 0x09, after
> start byte 0xff) in pattern match (m//) at test.pl line 1128, <F1> line
> 2.

The binary test outputs binary data and Perl interprets it as utf-8. Since
this is not utf-8, but only some binary bytes, Perl complains about bad
utf-8 character.

I am not quite sure why Perl things that the data is utf-8 and how this
affects chars above 0x7f in your real applications.

I will see if I get the same error with Perl 5.8.0, but it might depend on
your settings when Perl 5.8.0 was compiled

Gerald

P.S. Perl 5.8.0 is really high on my todo list and really hope I get soon
time to look at it. Very sorry, but it wasn't possible until now....