perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Ed Grimm <edgr...@asgard.rsc.raytheon.com>
Subject Re: [ -Execute ( ' * ' ) -] Doesn't Work!
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:09:16 GMT
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Andre Landwehr wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:56:24PM -0700, Powers, Dean wrote:
> > I think the problem is related to the "path" that Embperl sets when it
> > "walks" up the directory path to base.epl
> > (...)
> > It seems that the problem is that "base.epl" is in the directory ABOVE the
> > DocumentRoot. I've tried [- Execute (../*)  to get the file from the next
> > directory UP but that doesn't work either. :)
>
> I think what you run into is not a problem of Embperl here but
> one of Apache: You try to request a file that is not inside the
> DocumentRoot and Apache prevents you from doing that (imagine it
> wouldn't, would be nice to request sth. like ../../../etc/passwd
> from big companies servers then *grin*)

It's not so much that it's outside DocumentRoot, but that it's not in
any space Apache is told to view.  So therefore, it isn't the requested
document, because when Apache mapped the filename, it didn't map it to
that directory.

Basically, the server's trying to load

    /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mybookprices/content.html

and that file doesn't exist.

Whether he changes DocRoot or he changes where content.html is does not
matter for this; what matters is he does one of them.  However, it may
matter for other aspects of what he's doing.

I think the suggestion of changing DocRoot and doing a redirect is not
clean, but I can imagine some implementations where that is preferable
to the cleaner solution.

Incidentally, it's not a problem of Apache.  Apache is doing what it's
supposed to do.  It's a confusion regarding how Apache is supposed to
work.

Ed