perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Angus Lees <...@inodes.org>
Subject Re: Session support
Date Sat, 28 Sep 2002 04:54:36 GMT
At Sat, 28 Sep 2002 05:27:32 +0200, Gerald Richter wrote:
> > Not sure what is the best for serialization. Bas64, Dumper, ...??
> > I haven't been able to find any discussion about pro / con for this.
>
> As far as I know you should use Base64 for Postgres

note that the latest version or two of DBD::Pg actually reports
correct SQL types to DBI (which is probably why my DBIx::Recordset
tests are failing now) and correctly escapes the binary BYTEA type.

so you can probably (untested) use a BYTEA column for your binary
session data (which comes from Storable) and it will Just Work.

(previous versions of DBD::Pg and postgres couldn't cope with 8bit
data, hence the Base64 step)

--
 - Gus  (happy to see DBD::Pg development pick up again)