perl-embperl mailing list archives

From "Powers, Dean" <dpow...@conxion.net>
Subject RE: [ -Execute ( ' * ' ) -] Doesn't Work!
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:28:31 GMT
I think you are on to something here. But it's interesting that base.epl
isn't in the DocumentRoot either, but Embperl finds it in the directory
above DocumentRoot.

So, since I'm going to eventually have hundreds of sites (long story..), I
want /htdocs to have a single base.epl and all the "boilerplates" for each
of the subdirectory domains beneath it. Yes, I could put symlinks in each
subdirectory to point to the boilerplate files in /htdocs but that means
whenever I add new boilerplate files I have to go into each subdirectory and
add the symlinks.

Gerald, any thoughts here? I can't be the only site with lots of virtual
domains that wants all the boilerplate content in a higher directory.
Embperl walks the tree to find base.epl outside the DocumentRoot, why won't
it walk the same tree to get the original requested file and other
boilerplate files?

In the meantime, I'll explore Andre's alternatives.

Thanks!

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Landwehr [mailto:andre.landwehr@gmx.net]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 1:16 PM
To: 'embperl@perl.apache.org'
Subject: Re: [ -Execute ( ' * ' ) -] Doesn't Work!

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:56:24PM -0700, Powers, Dean wrote:
> I think the problem is related to the "path" that Embperl sets when it
> "walks" up the directory path to base.epl
> (...)
> It seems that the problem is that "base.epl" is in the directory ABOVE the
> DocumentRoot. I've tried [- Execute (../*)  to get the file from the next
> directory UP but that doesn't work either. :)

I think what you run into is not a problem of Embperl here but
one of Apache: You try to request a file that is not inside the
DocumentRoot and Apache prevents you from doing that (imagine it
wouldn't, would be nice to request sth. like ../../../etc/passwd
from big companies servers then *grin*)
You can however access files outside the DocumentRoot from
the server side, aka via an explicit Execute('content.html') or
via configuration directives like that for base.epl or the
fallback document.
I suggest you shrink your DocumentRoot to
/usr/local/apache/htdocs and do a redirection to your
mybookprices directory via http_headers_out, or you copy (or
symlink, as for that) content.html into the DocumentRoot

Andre

--
"The inside of a computer is as dumb as hell, but it goes like mad!"
(Physicist Richard Feynman)