perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Jarrod Stenberg <slo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Embperl-2.0b8 httpd Segmentation Faults. Unclosed tags?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:17:07 GMT
I'm trying to get to the bottom of trouble with a web
application that runs out of control and crashes the
apache children (Apache/1.3.26 on 4.6.2-RELEASE with
perl 5.6.1 [ all of my perl modules have been rebuilt
with 5.6.1 which seems to be a good idea on FreeBSD
]).

Not everything crashes, but certain pages do.  These
pages involve a forum app.  I have a file called
DrawMessageSummary.htm which is called again and again
by a file called DrawList.htm.

My hunch is that this has to do with poor HTML.
Should we Embperl programmers be moving towards XHTML?
 I know that's not exactly the issue, but it gets you
thinking about doing things like such:

&lt;form&gt;
&lt;input type=&#34;submit&#34; /&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

which is the same as:
&lt;form&gt;
&lt;input type=&#34;submit&#34;&gt;&lt;/input&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

instead of:
&lt;form&gt;
&lt;input type=&#34;submit&#34;&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

Of course the latter has a tag that is not closed.  Of
course, those of us who learned a long time ago gained
the bad habit of doing stuff like this:
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;hr&gt;&lt;p&gt;

And these are also unclosed tags.

Of course XHTML also involves attribute quoting, as in
XML and XSLT:
&lt;form action=&#34;submit.htm&#34;&gt;&lt;/form&gt;

instead of:
&lt;form action=submit.htm&gt;&lt;/form&gt;

So, of course I should move to XHTML as a good
practice, but is the unclosed tag thing something that
could cause Embperl to go nuts in 2.0b8?

Thank you,
-Jarrod, Iowa City IA

P.S.  Gerald, this software just keeps getting better!
 Great work.