perl-embperl mailing list archives

From Wim Kerkhoff <...@nyetwork.org>
Subject Re: passing javascript variable to embperl
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:47:52 GMT

On 16-Apr-2002 Kee Hinckley wrote:
> At 3:19 PM -0700 4/16/02, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:
>>Where does one start?  Are there any installers for other CGI
>>projects that can
>>be imitated?
>
> I don't know what's out there for CGI-type installations.
> I'd think the first thing would be to see if can get some consensus
> on default locations for various files.
>
> I tend to put a protected folder in my web server called "data" and I
> store my site-specific .pm files there.  Ditto for Embperl::Object
> and Embperl module files.  And I have a subfolder for things that can
> be written to by the web server.  However I'm not entirely happy with
> the layout.
>
> What do other folks do?

Depends on the level of access I have. If I don't have root and/or access to
httpd.conf, I'll use Debian's default of /usr/lib/cgi-bin for cgi-bin, /var/www
for html/embperl/graphics, and /usr/local/lib/site_perl for perl modules. Since
root has added me to a www-prog that has permissions to that, I'll put things
into these places. It still requires emailing the server admin to set up
special <Directory> directives for the Embperl stuff, but it works.

If I have full access, I'd rather keep the application's components separate
from everything else on the server. /var/www/htdocs might be the documentroot,
but for MyFooApp I'll set up /var/www/myfooapp which contains:

/var/www/myfooapp
 -> htdocs # html, images, embperl
 -> lib # perl modules
 -> docs # info about configuration, db schemas, the code
 -> bin # cron/backup/import/export scripts

Then in httpd.conf (or a file included from httpd.conf), add in the appropriate
Aliases, and a 'use lib qw(/var/www/myfooapp/lib)' in startup.pl.

This makes it easier to tar it up and and migrate to another server. When
working on it, it saves time finding files, as they aren't intermingled with
other directories and files in the main server directories.

I'm not sure if there is good consensus here. Compare the default apache
locations, with the default for various operating systems and distributions.
Also consider people who are using virtual hosting.

Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff  -|-  www.nyetwork.org  -|-  wim@nyetwork.org