perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:12:47 GMT
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:51:03AM -0500, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> It's been a while, but I think it's true that the indexes are not
>> portable between 64 and 32 bit machines.
> Both are 64bit. amd64 vs sparc64

Well, the indexes should be portable between them, but it would not
surprise me if there were differences in the two compilers so that the
indexes get written differently -- not a lot of testing was done on
64bit platforms.  The "portability" of the swish indexes is just that
items are written in network order.  But, swish still uses the native
sizes on the platform in use.

>> What about moving to Google for the search feature?
> This is what infrastructure would actually prefer.  Take a gander at the way it works
> on httpd.apache.org.
>
> My only concern here is that you loose all th wonderful formating and styling......
>
> But Feh, theres a chance google might do it better?
> [nothing against you bill]

Nobody confuses Swish with Google.  I think Google would be the
easiest approach.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org