perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 06:21:57 GMT
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:52:01AM -0500, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Apache Infrastructure finally with some coaxing gave us access to
> the _real_ www.apache.org servers which host all the project sites
> as well.
>
> So perl.apache.org is now served from them.  That means we get the
> .us and .eu mirrors, and are not affected by maintenance.
>
> The only issue here is that site uses swish-e on FreeBSD 7.1-stable
> amd64 to build 'indexes' via the crons.  The crons are not run on
> the 'real' hosts and never will be.  The results of the svn checkout
> + crons are rsynced across to 'real' servers.
>
> Unfortunately, the generated swish-e artifacts are not architecture
> independent and are not usable on SunOS.

Hum, so the site is rsynced from the FreeBSD machine to the SunOS
machine?  And since the indexes are built on the FreeBSD machine they
can't be used on the SunOS machine?

Is the swish-e binary built on the SunOS machine?  No way to get the
indexes built on the target machine?  Is they solution to find a
similar machine where the indexes can be built?

It's been a while, but I think it's true that the indexes are not
portable between 64 and 32 bit machines.

What about moving to Google for the search feature?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org