perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Sorcinelli <enr...@sorcinelli.it>
Subject Re: [MP2] - New 3rd-party module ported: Apache::GeoIP?
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:14:11 GMT
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:31:57 -0800
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> Can you please send a patch for other missing modules, including the first
> version number they started to work with mp2 (I guess you need to check at the
> Changes file). Thanks.

In reality, I dont know all mod_perl modules status, but with this simple
script:

---CUT HERE---
use CPAN;
use LWP::Simple qw(get);
foreach $dist ( CPAN::Shell->expand('Distribution','/Apache/') ) {
        my $id = $dist->id;
        $id =~ s/.*\/([^\/]+)\.t(ar\.)?gz$/$1/;
        my $changes_url = 'http://search.cpan.org/src/' . $dist->cpan_userid . '/' . $id;
        my $changes = get("$changes_url/Changes") || get("$changes_url/CHANGES") ;
        if ( $changes =~ /(mod_?perl 1 and 2|both (versions of )?mod_?perl|(mp|mod_?perl)\s*\n*\s*(2|two|ii|1\.99))/i
) {
                push(@mp2,$id);
        }
}
---CUT HERE---

these modules seem to have some relationships with mod_perl 2:

	Apache-DBI-0.92
	Apache-ASP-2.55
	MasonX-Request-WithApacheSession-0.24
	Apache-SessionManager-1.00
	Apache-Test-1.05
	Apache-Test-1.06
	Apache-Sybase-CTlib-2.00
	Apache-PAR-0.30
	Apache-GeoIP-1.215
	Apache-AuthNetLDAP-0.26
	Apache-AuthenNIS-0.11
	Apache-AuthenPasswd-0.12
	Apache-AuthenSmb-0.70
	Apache-AuthzNIS-0.11
	Apache-AuthzNetLDAP-0.07
	Apache-Peek-1.01
	Apache-AuthChecker-0.20

So, these modules are missing in perl.apache.org mp2 list:

	Apache-DBI-0.92 (from 0.91)
	Apache-ASP-2.55 (I'm not sure of porting status because it seems
                         to load Apache::compat)
	Apache-Sybase-CTlib-2.00 (from 2.00)
	Apache-PAR-0.30 (seems to be stable from 0.20)
	Apache-GeoIP-1.215 (from beginning)
	Apache-AuthChecker-0.20 (from 0.20)

For MasonX-Request-WithApacheSession-0.24, the question is: is Mason mod_perl 2
compliant?

I can run this check every week, and post the mod_perl status modules diff to
this list.

Some considerations:

1. No-mod_perl related modules live in the Apache::* namespace (Apache::Session,
   Apache::Config, and so on)
2. mod_perl related modules doesn't live under Apache::* namespace (HTML::Mason,
   libapreq)
3. The report is strictly tied to description in Changes distribution files

Obviously the script can be improved (for example by fetching README, by tuning
regex matching, etc).
But, in fact, we must annotate that currently there isn't a possibility to add
metadata info in order to tag a distribution as a mod_perl (1 or 2) module.
It would be nice... :-)

I noted some difference between my report and the site list. Why?

1) Apache::AuthExpire is in perl.apache.org list but not here.
   But CPAN (1.7601) says:

	cpan> m Apache::AuthExpire
	Module id = Apache::AuthExpire
	    DESCRIPTION  PerlAuthenHandler to implement time limits
	    CPAN_USERID  JJHORNER (J. J. Horner <jjhorner@bellsouth.net>)
	    CPAN_VERSION 0.36
	    CPAN_FILE    J/JJ/JJHORNER/Apache-AuthExpire-0.36.tar.gz
	    DSLI_STATUS  bdpf (beta,developer,perl,functions)
	    INST_FILE    (not installed)

   instead of version 0.38

2) Apache::AuthPerLDAP - Again CPAN reports:

	cpan> m Apache::AuthPerLDAP
	Module id = Apache::AuthPerLDAP
	    DESCRIPTION  LDAP authentication module (PerLDAP)
	    CPAN_USERID  HENRIK (Henrik Strom <henrik@computer.org>)
	    CPAN_VERSION 0.5
	    CPAN_FILE    H/HE/HENRIK/Apache-AuthPerLDAP-0.5.tar.gz
	    DSLI_STATUS  bdpf (beta,developer,perl,functions)
	    INST_FILE    (not installed)

   instead of version 2.01

3) Apache::AuthzPasswd: the only infos I've found about mod_perl 2 are in
   Makefile.PL... :-\

Notice that to avoid doubts about mirros problems, I also verified this infos
directly in http://www.cpan.org/modules/03modlist.data.gz

As final stats, we have approximately:

	262 mod_perl modules (only in Apache::* namespace, of course)
	21 ported modules (mp2 compliant without Apache::compat)
	6 port in progress
	0 mp2 only modules ?

It is the case to contact mod_perl modules authors in order to check their
intentions to port modules or porting status?

Sorry for this long post... :-)

by

	- Enrico