perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <perei...@oslo.online.no>
Subject Re: Cron <perlwww@daedalus> /home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_index
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:04:56 GMT
At 20:50 21.10.2002, Bill Moseley wrote:
>At 04:53 PM 10/21/02 -0000, Cron Daemon wrote:
> >err: Couldn't open the property file "index.swish-e.prop.temp": No such
>file or directory
>
>I'm looking at this, but response is very slow on daedalus right now.
>
>When indexing swish writes to *.temp files and when finally done indexing
>the files are renamed, which replace the existing files.
>
>This is error message is odd, in a number of ways:
>
>1) When indexing swish writes a couple of files.  On of them, the
>.prop.temp file shown in this error, is closed and reopened in read mode
>(for speed up read access for the final indexing stage).  So swish was able
>to close the file without any errors, but when it tried to reopen it the OS
>said the file didn't exist.  I've never seen this happened before.  There's
>plenty of disk space.
>
>2) There was an index file created at the time of this message from cron
>(09:53:34 -0700), but it's corrupt.  The error above aborts swish indexing
>so the .temp files should still exist (and not overwrite the existing index
>files) since swish aborted before the files could be renamed.  I'm not
>clear how corrupted indexes got written.

Hmm, definitely weird, but I suppose it's linked to the load. Let's wait
til things settle down, I suppose it'll work then :)

>3) Maybe I need coffee.  On my machine I keep the swish-e binary in the
>"search" directory and then the search script runs ./swish-e.
>
>On the live site it lives at /home/perlwww/bin/swish-e.
>
>But in the swish.cgi program I see:
>
>    my $swish_binary = $ENV{SWISH_BINARY_PATH} || './swish-e';
>
>and I don't see where SWISH_BINARY_PATH is set when running as a CGI script
>(I looked in httpd.conf, and .htaccess and ../.htaccess).
>
>I fear I'm missing something obvious here.

We have an eval require apache.org-setup.pl at the top of swish.cgi which
sets SWISH_BINARY_PATH to its correct value.

>4) It's impossible to work on daedalus now.  Very slow to respond.  Server
>seems loaded.  I've never seen it so slow.  I don't know what normal is for
>the web server, but:
>
>   41.6 requests/sec - 5.1 MB/second - 124.6 kB/request
>   900 requests currently being processed, 0 idle workers

I can't see any obvious reason for it, but, well, Apache is popular.

>5) Brian's plea to reduce disk space hasn't freed much space, if any.  At
>96% now.

Ah, those Java people with their large builds :) It doesn't matter too much
for now; there is like 500MB free, and we need only 28. But it would be
good if they could get some of the old things out, that's true. Give them
some time.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no