perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Link from download to install?
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 06:26:59 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 01:06 PM 08/02/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I agree, yours looks good. Though I suggest to keep only:
>>
>>Download | Changes | Installation
>>
>>the "old" thingy is really old.
>

> Hey Stas,
>
> Sound fine. [1]
>

>>Any idea how to name the link to the
>>unpacked version? if you want to browse the source online?
>

> "package contents", "browse contents" or as on the debian site "list of
> files"?

I'd go with the short 'Browse' then.

> <rant day="too long">
> [1]  I'm into old right now.  I'm tying to move a client to a new ISP
> that's running 5.00503, soon to be 5.6.1.  For now I need a few updated
> modules, but when I try to use CPAN to install them it tries to install
> perl 5.8.  Typical story.  The client home directory is on an nfs share
> where the parent directory does not have read access so I can't install
> perl 5.6.1 or 5.8.0 locally (FindBin fails with permission error.  5.6.1
> fails make test and won't install, and 5.8 fails Configure.

I can't see what it has to do with mod_perl's "old"?

The 5.8 issue on CPAN should be resolved at some point, it's being
discussed on p5p.

> Another thing that bugs me is that when installing modules it seems to
> ignore PERL5LIB environment setting.  I just tried to install something
> that required a never version of HTML::Parser.  So I installed HTML::Parser
> locally, but it still kept finding the old version, and not the one in my
> PERL5LIB path.....
> </rant>

what's "it"? CPAN.pm? works fine on apache.org where I've the same setup
5.005_03 with local modules.

Are you sure that PERL5LIB is properly set? e.g. that's the one I use at
apache.org:
setenv PERL5LIB
/home/stas/lib/perl5/5.00503:/home/stas/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005:/home/stas/lib/perl5/site_perl/:/home/stas/lib/perl5/site_perl/:/home/stas/lib/perl5/