perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Mirrors
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:45:08 GMT
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> > At 13:42 02.07.2002, Randy Kobes wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a reason each mirror has to build the site from
> >> cvs? Couldn't the master site be placed under rsync, for
> >> example, and the mirrors just mirror that?
> >
> > Because we're only updating the HTML so often, the CVS version is the
> > one that's up to date.
>
> well actually that's not the reason. we don't expect mirrors to be more
> up to date then the master site
>
> > Furthermore, if the search has to be set up
> > anyway, does it cost that much to use CVS too?
>
> the problem is in the index files which may not be cross-platform. If
> you ignore search then yes you could rsync.
>
> but if you ignore search it's going to broken.
>
> if we hardcode perl.apache.org/search then those who want local search
> need to mangle templates.

Having a local search seems worthwhile ... Since the index files
aren't guaranteed to be cross-platform, that would mean building
them on the mirrors, which looks like it can be done with an
rsynced html tree and swish.conf. Then if perl.apache.org/search
isn't hardcoded, the mirror could just install the search
templates ...

best regards,
randy