perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan M. Hollin" <netmas...@digital-word.com>
Subject RE: Breadcrumb
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:35:07 GMT
> > I presume from these comments that the breadcrumb must not
> word-wrap onto a
> > new line?
>
> It's OK if this happens, but we better not. Try to insert a long title
> and see how it works.

It's not good - any more than one line and the layout is going to be
disturbed.  I don't need to test to see that.  :-)

> Currently we already have the concept of title and stitle attributes,
> because we have a more prominent problem with the menu. So the menu uses
> stitle (short title). But these two are available only for index.html
> pages (think docset titles), leaf document have only the title attribute:
>
> html: <title>...</title>
> pod:  =head1 NAME

I see.  So we are at the authors mercy!  Yikes...

> ok. this is only for the leaf nodes, right? the index.html pages don't
> need this terminator.

That's a tricky one Stas.  If you're going to do it properly then even the
index pages should have the stub.  Consider again the point of the
breadcrumb: to visually represent your current position in a heirarchical
information space - well, if you exclude the stub <i>anywhere</i> then the
representation is wrong.

I think, if you're going to exclude the stub from index pages then you must
exclude from all documents.  Otherwise you have two conflicting models and
the user is going to more confused than if we just omit the stubs
altogether.

> >>I have another idea: use the real filenames. Assuming that the filenames
> >>are descriptive (which I think is the case) this will work well and
> >>filenames are already short enough.
> >

> > If this were any other site but mod_perl, then I say no to this straight
> > away as the filenames will be meaningless to most users.
> However, I think
> > it's safe to assume that our audience is a little bit more
> savvy.  Even so,
> > I think filenames are a little "off" - not quite what we are looking for
> > IMHO.
>
> On the second thought we already have the URL with real filenames. So
> it's probably not a good idea to duplicate this concept.

Good point - I'd forgotten that.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Coordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/