perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan M. Hollin" <netmas...@digital-word.com>
Subject RE: Breadcrumb
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:04:34 GMT
> that requires a lot of heuristics, because you have to take into account
> the overall length, where the number of sections varies. So you need to
> backtrace, see what you can cut, go forward backtrace again, etc. Not a
> job for the templates logic.
>
> But the biggest problem is that you don't know what's the font
> size/family is used by the client, so you cannot really know how many
> chars is ok.

I presume from these comments that the breadcrumb must not word-wrap onto a
new line?

> > 2)  Remove "stop words" (the, and, of, etc) from the title,
> then truncate to
> > character x (so "CGI to mod_perl Porting. mod_perl Coding
> guidelines" could
> > become "CGI mod_perl porting", etc)
> >
> > 3)  Remove any words not beginning with a capital letter (i.e. minor
> > words) - "CGI to mod_perl Porting. mod_perl Coding guidelines"
> becomes "CGI
> > Porting Coding".  Now, I agree, this is a terrible title - but
> only because
> > the title of the document itself is poorly constructed...
>
> These two doesn't sound like very good ones, authors will forget to
> Upcase some words in titles, certain titles won't make sense without the
> articles.

So there will be no editing?  Is there anyplace where a "breadcrumb title"
can be explicitely defined?

> > Good idea.  You could replace "..." with "current page",
> "current document",
> > "this page", etc, etc.
>
> I prefer "this page" or "..."

I prefer "this page" I must admit.

> I have another idea: use the real filenames. Assuming that the filenames
> are descriptive (which I think is the case) this will work well and
> filenames are already short enough.

If this were any other site but mod_perl, then I say no to this straight
away as the filenames will be meaningless to most users.  However, I think
it's safe to assume that our audience is a little bit more savvy.  Even so,
I think filenames are a little "off" - not quite what we are looking for
IMHO.

Per Einar:  Have you any objections to "this page"?

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Coordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/