perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan M. Hollin" <netmas...@digital-word.com>
Subject RE: Breadcrumb
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:17:11 GMT
> The truncating idea could work. Though we need to think about the
> details: do we truncate the last element? and what if the previous
> element was too long? not simple, eh? if you know how, please go all the
> way down rather just saying that this is wrong. we do know that this is
> "wrong" but we don't know "better".

Okay.  Truncating could be performed by a number of methods:

1)  Cut at characted x then append "..." (you see this in the description
part of the results of some search engines - like on WYPUG for instance)

2)  Remove "stop words" (the, and, of, etc) from the title, then truncate to
character x (so "CGI to mod_perl Porting. mod_perl Coding guidelines" could
become "CGI mod_perl porting", etc)

3)  Remove any words not beginning with a capital letter (i.e. minor
words) - "CGI to mod_perl Porting. mod_perl Coding guidelines" becomes "CGI
Porting Coding".  Now, I agree, this is a terrible title - but only because
the title of the document itself is poorly constructed...

> another problem is that the title is going to be duplicated, is that OK
> by your usability intuition, Jonathan?

Yes, absolutely.  Remember that these are two different things - document
title and a "roadmap".  The duplication is in fact necessary to relate the
two IMHO.  Reduce the size of the breadcrumb font and there's no reason why
it should be intrusive.  Of course, this assumes, again, that the document
titles are well-formed.

> I've another idea, what if instead of showing the title of the leaf
> node, we just use '...' implying that there is more? consider:
>
> Home / Documentation / mod_perl 1.0 User Guide / ...
>
> for the URL:
> http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html
>
> so we do tell the user that there is more without saying it.

Good idea.  You could replace "..." with "current page", "current document",
"this page", etc, etc.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Coordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/